Thursday 16 January 2014

Further exploits in to crochet.

In the past I've blogged about making a couple of crochet blankets and some cute little owls.
Over the Christmas break I found time to try a few more bits and pieces.
First up some more granny squares but in different patterns to the standard treble blocks. These came out of a book I was given for Christmas by a friend,Granny Squares 20 crochet project with a vintage vibe. This is a brilliant book that I'm sure I will be creating lots out of.
This first one is a square with a circle inside I like this pattern and think its would look good in a mixture of colours.
This one is a hexagon shape one, I was really pleased to be able to follow this pattern to achieve something that wasn't just square.
Another square one, the pattern said this should have been done on a bigger hook than I had available so its abit squashed looking, its a flower within a square, I'm pleased with how I was able to interchange the colours on this one.
A pretty flower/star shape, I like this one and think I will be trying it later in the year with a smaller hook and daintier white and silver cottons to create snowflakes.












The last one for now out of the book that I tried was this coaster mat, I chose to do it in a finer crochet cotton instead of the wool and really pleased with the effect, it compliments the lovely scallop work and holes.










All this experimenting reminded me of a pattern my mother had purchased a while back so I dug it out and had a go at some of the things on it. The pattern was from stylecraft kon tiki crochet range, which I believe is now discontinued.
 The first thing I tried was a flower that was used on a hat and scarf and as a bag. This flower has a lovely layered effect which is created by working in to the back of the piece of work instead of just going around the outside, it is abit fiddly to do but worth it.
The other thing I had a go at was a different flower which on the pattern was used to decorate a bag. this is a cute little flower and I added beads and a button to it along with a pin on the back to create a brooch.










Sticking with the theme of flowers I had a go at these lovely 3d roses. I adore making these so simple yet they create such an effect. I found the tutorial for them on the Simply homemade magazine site. Tutorial Tuesday-crochet-rose this only shows you how to make the roses the leaves I adapted from leaves in the above mentioned stylecraft pattern. I think I'm also going to sew these on to brooch pins to sell on craft stalls.




And my grand finale in my recent adventures in crochet, dino the dinosaur, I got the pattern for this from a branched off magazine for Simply homemade, called Handmade Gifts for girls and boys. I think hes super cute but did take me a day and a half solid crocheting, there are two other styles to make in the magazine a t-rex and triceratops. I've started having a go at the t-rex but I think there is an error in the pattern and need to contact the company that prints it.
So there you go my recent goes as crochet, I really feel I'm progressing and getting along well with this craft really glad I've persevered with it.



                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment