Wednesday 18 March 2015

branching out in to machine sewing.

So I decided it was high time I did some sewing with a machine and I must say I'm really enjoying it.
My instrument of choice is a beautiful 1949 singer 99k with a hand crank and it is a wonder to behold. Given to me by my mother in law who no longer has a use for it I am its third owner as it originally belong to her mother. Considering its age it is in remarkable condition with its original manual and box feet. I like the hand crank because I feel I have more control over it I take my hands off and everything stops and it cant get away from like an electric foot pedal.  


The threading mechanism is quite complex compared with modern machines but with the aid of the manual and a couple of you tube videos I managed to get it done and with abit of experimentation I managed to get the tension and stitch length to my satisfaction.

I decided to start with something simple and there was a pile of lavender bags waiting to be sewn together. These are small squares so four straight sides were required with a gap on one side for stuffing and a ribbon loop tucked in another. These are then stuffed with a mixture of lavender and polyester stuffing to give a good shape.

 They have found a home making up part of the craft display in the shop adorning the white tree. They are selling well at £2.50 each particularly last week when people were having them as little extras for Mother's Day.
 I have got a range of different styles done to suit all including flowers, cakes, sewing, farmyard and purple oriental inspired fans. I think the purple works well with lavender. There is also a set of Easter ones still in need of stuffing and will be available soon.
 My other half as acquired a passion for vintage film cameras and thought the machine would make a nice subject. So here's a couple of pictures he took one nice sunny day. Here is myself at the machine working away. Ad you can see you turn the crank with your right hand and guide the fabric with your left and this works well for me being left handed.
  For some reason this one came out small,I tried making it bigger but it distorts the definition. this is a nice black and white shot of it in the sun.
I hope to do more with my machine soon so keep checking back. I have a summer skirt I cut the pieces out for years ago which needs putting together, might get that done for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment